Saturday 27 November 2010

Goodbye slim.fast and hello diet #4, 'The Alkaline Diet'

*Drumroll* At the end of week 3, I have lost a fairly marvellous 7lbs. New weight: 10st 2lbs.

Although I started the week starving all the time, by the end of the week, the hunger doesn't seem to bother me as much (although I should apologise to anyone who's come near me this week - lack of sensible meals means my mouth tastes vile all the time, but full marks to my friends, who are clearly too polite to mention my minging breath). So, for the litmus test, would I do this again? Or recommend it to a friend? Damn right I would!! Will I be invited on another playdate with my minging breath? Probably not!!

Diet #4 is the Alkaline diet. Although this isn't technically a weight loss diet, the idea is to avoid acid-forming foods (grains, fish, meat, poultry, cheese, milk), and eat more alkalising foods (fruits and vegetables). It's so restrictive that I'm likely to lose weight anyway. According to the website the aim of this diet is to reduce the body's acidity and restore it's pH level to a 'more optimal' 7.35-7.45. Almost all foods that we eat release either an acid or an alkaline base into the blood, and a higher acidity can lead to stress and low energy, and make you prone to more illnesses. Being more alkaline will make me healthier and more relaxed. Excellent.

Alkalising foods include:
Asparagus, broccoli, courgette, dandelion (?), beans, spinach, tomatoes, kelp, sweet potato, cauliflower, aubergine, cucumber, lettuce, grapefruit, almonds, pumpkin seeds, gluten free bread, quinoa, spelt, soy and olive oil.

Acid forming foods include
Meat, dairy and eggs, fruits including apple, apricot, grapes, strawberries, pineapple, alcohol (which may be an issue for the two big parties I have this week), mushrooms, rice, noodles, pizza, biscuits, sweets, nuts and sauces. Ouch.

I need to aim for an 80:20 ratio - 80% alkalising foods to 20% acid-forming. I have ordered some pH testing strips, and my aim over the course of the week will be to increase my pH levels to a more alkaline level. As a control, I'll be using my husband, Simon. What is it with men? Ever since I got pregnant for the first time, he's been desperate to pee on a stick, and so he's willingly voluteered to act as a control.

Current pH level will be posted (and the diet will start) once ebay deliver my litmus paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment